Montag, 30. Mai 2011

It's been an awfully long time since I last posted something, so let's change that quickly! Here's another Cthulhu, this time a commission. The customer has kept me waiting for quite a while now, so if want to have this piece, drop me a line. It's huge and was a truckload of work, though, so it won't be cheap. But there's always the possibility to make a nice, high-quality poster print:



"Cthulhu V", 100 x 70 cm, acrylics on canvas

And here's another commisioned piece, this one is already sold and gone. The customer asked for "something bizarre and end-timey", so, grateful for such a loose desciption, I let my imagination loose:

"Trilobite Jesus at the dawn of time"
50 x 70 cm, acrylics on canvas

This bio-mechanic aesthetic turned up during the work on "Cthulhu V", and struck a chord with me. I think I'll explore it some more. Right now, I'm working on a piece that combines this theme with the nude paintings you saw in earlier posts, and can also be seen as a nod to Beksinsky, who I regard as one of the greatest painters of the 20th century. I am, of course, not insane and try to compare my work with his, but I can't deny that he's left an impression on me. If you're not familiar with the guy, google his name for a dose of highest quality heebie-jeebies and a true sense of melancholia. Powerful stuff.

Oh, and I've also treated myself to a pretty decent camera lately (mostly to take pictures of my pictures, and other work-related purposes), and although I haven't had much opportunity to get accustomed with all the fancy gadgetry that comes with such a high tech machine, I jumped right into it and discovered that I have a weak spot for the microcosm around us. So here's a bunch of pics of very small things from my parents' garden:


These two show a variety of lichen. The individual "trumpets" are about one centimeter high. I've always loved them for their otherworldly shape, and often imagined what it would be like to wander among them as through a forest. My low-grade fancy gadgetry and non-existent understanding of photography of course limit my capability to put them in scene like that, but I think these images get the point across: just one order of magnitude below us, the world begins to look really weird.
I might get deeper into the matter and maybe buy the necessary lenses and stuff and become a hobby microphotograpoher some day. That would be fun.

Oh, and the above images are, of course, altered in Photoshop to stress the alien nature of the habitat. It wasn't that dark there, and the light wasn't quite as dramatic.


Here's the smallest flower I could find. The individual blossoms are about as big as a pinhead. I found that these photos make for good desktops, so if you want to use them for that purpose (or any other, really), just go ahead and do so! It would be nice to hear some feedback, though.

And one other item of news: Zoofights has started again! I haven't made any super duper kickass paintings yet, so that will have to wait for a while.

Keine Kommentare: